Yikes! Could the overage be because I went grocery shopping six times, to Right By Nature, Trader Joe's, Giant Eagle, Giant Eagle Market District, Whole Foods, and Bombay Food Market? It was one of those weeks where, in order to use up leftover ingredients from one recipe, I had to buy one or two more things to make another. But really, I just bought too much. Here's how it all played out.
Spices: I spent $16 to re-stock some herbs and spices.
Fruits and Veggies: Same story. Each time I shopped, I combed the produce section for what was on sale. At one point I had three bunches of bananas overflowing from my fruit bowl.
Meals: I bought more food than I have time to cook. Now I need to feverishly cook so nothing goes to waste.
- Chicken-Style Seitan with Gravy
- French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme
- Sauteed Greens
- Romaine Salad with Roasted Mushrooms and Miso-Tahini Dressing
- Pureed White Beans with Fresh Herbs
- Chickpea-Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Jerk Asparagus
- Herbed Home Fries
- Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Cauliflower Hummus
- Chickpea Tacos
- Roasted Chili Sauce
- Trader Joe's is not good for greens! Their mix of greens was $3.99, compared to $1.89 for a bunch at Giant Eagle. This week, kale and collards are on sale for $.89!
- My appetite for trying new recipes is sometimes greater than my actual appetite. This weekend I bought a new vegan cookbook, which definitely fueled my cooking obsession.
- Indian markets are great for spices. A huge bag is about $2.99, compared to a small container at the same price. I keep my spice containers and then refill them from these big bags.
- I should NOT allow myself to go grocery shopping six times in a week. Ridiculous!
- Emily Levenson
- Maria Marz
- Veggie Converter
- Low Budge Veg
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Beauty, Fitness, and Health…Oh My!
- Motor City Girl In the Steel City
- Baked Beans and Broccoli…Vegetarian Budgeting
- Sweet Rehab
- The Happy Cactus
- The Vegetarian Salmon
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Newly Vegan
- Always Sick and Tired
- Veggie on the Cheap