Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sesame Pita Pockets

I love all Mark Bittman's bread recipes in the Food Matters Cook Book. I make his no-knead, whole-wheat bread every week and have also made pizza dough and flatbread. They're all wonderful. Today I made his Sesame Pita Pockets for the second time.

They're not hard to make, just time-intensive because you need to let the dough rise a total of three times before baking. And, of course, there's the rolling out part of it. But it's worth it. They're so fresh and good. Something in the dough made of whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, instant yeast, salt, olive oil, and molasses makes them puff up while cooking so you can actually cut them open and have pocket pita.The recipe makes 12, and they freeze well, so it's easy to have homemade pitas on hand.I had them with Veganomicon Cauliflower Hummus. Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I made that cauliflower hummus too! It's good but SERIOUSLY garlicky. I've always wanted to make pita bread also - I have a "traditional" recipe in a cookbook zine that I want to try. Sesame seeds sound like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete