Monday, February 21, 2011

Appetite for Reduction: Curried Chickpeas & Greens

Fantastic! This recipe starts off in a way no other recipe I've made has: by popping mustard seeds in a pot with a little olive oil. Next you add and saute diced onion, minced garlic and ginger, and red pepper flakes. Next comes crushed tomatoes then spices (curry, cumin, coriander, garam masala, and salt). Then you add finely chopped kale and cook it down, then let it simmer until it gets very tender and velvety. Finally, you add chickpeas and let it all cook together so the flavors mesh.

I served it over brown basmati rice--the first time I've ever tried this rice. (Tonight's a night of exciting firsts for me!) It took a while to chop up all the kale and other veggies and make the rice, but once all the prep was over, it was easy to put together and done in about a half-hour.

It's mmmmmm....really, really good. This is my absolute favorite kind of recipe: when something made with really nutritious whole foods tastes so wonderful. I give this two huge thumbs up. My omnivore husband really liked it too.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I made a soup tonight with kale and chickpeas - they're a great combination.

    ReplyDelete