Monday, February 7, 2011

Romaine Salad with Roasted Mushrooms and Veganomicon Miso Tahini Dressing

For lunch I paired baby romaine with roasted mushrooms and dressed it with Miso Tahini Dressing from Veganomicon. The dressing has two ingredients--miso and tahini--plus water to thin it out, so it takes no time to whip up and is really good. The combination of romaine, roasted, chewy mushrooms, and this dressing was divine!
I also mixed the dressing in with some of the Tamarind Lentils I wasn't crazy about...and I immediately liked them much more! I'd also make this as a dip for veggies. Someone posted the recipe here. I made a two-serving recipe by using 2 tablespoons each of the miso, tahini, and water.

Also, the roasted mushrooms technique is from Mark Bittman's Food Matters Cook Book. I'd never had mushrooms cooked this way and really like the chewy, dense texture and meaty taste.

His technique is: Heat the oven to 400F and coat a baking sheet with about 1 teaspoon olive oil. Put it in the oven for a few minutes so the oil gets hot. Add a bunch of sliced mushrooms (1 big package) and toss to coat then let them roast for about 10 minutes, until they start to release moisture. Take them out, add 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon sage, and some red pepper flakes if you want. Toss them all together and then bake for a few minutes more, until the mushrooms are dry and chewy. I originally made these for vegan pizza but the leftovers were great in this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment