Monday, February 14, 2011

Appetite for Reduction: Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Toasted Cumin Seeds

I didn't make a big, complicated Valentine's Day dinner tonight. Instead, I spent 15 minutes whipping up dinner so that I'd have the evening free with my husband instead of spending the night cooking in the kitchen. The Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Toasted Cumin Seeds may be the best meal I've ever made in 15 minutes!The dressing is a simple mix of lime juice, agave nectar, grapeseed oil, and toasted cumin seeds that's combined with quinoa, black beans, diced tomatoes, and chopped scallions, all of which are served on mixed salad greens. OK, so it's a summer salad, and it's the dead of winter. But WOW, this salad was awesome. The smokiness of the toasted cumin seeds pairs wonderfully with the light and slightly tart dressing. The notes say the quinoa soaks in the flavors so it's even better the next day, which is perfect because it's tomorrow's lunch. Plus, come on: quinoa, beans, greens...it doesn't get much more nutritious than that (and only 5 WeightWatchers PointsPlus values). I give it two huge thumbs up (and omnivore husband really liked it too) and can see this being a staple, especially in summer months when the refreshing taste will really hit the spot.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it came out well, even with the winter tomatoes. I made a salad recently with avocado and tomato and it was a little sad.
    I've also recently discovered the glories of cumin! It imparts such a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete