Friday, February 4, 2011

Veganomicon Review: Tamarind Lentils

This is the first Veganomicon recipe that didn't thrill me. The recipe tip said small green lentils would work better because brown lentils get mushy. I should have stuck with brown--I like mushy lentils. The lentils were supposed to get tender and absorb the broth after 25 minutes; after more than an hour, mine were still a little too firm for me. But by that point I'd hungrily watched my husband heat the oven, cook a frozen pizza for himself, and eat it, so I was tired of waiting for the lentils to get more tender.

The flavor was OK. Not bad. Not great. Just OK. But since I really like mushy lentils, the firm texture ruined it for me. Still, I probably wouldn't make this again, even using brown lentils. A disappointing dinner!

3 comments:

  1. Waiting hungrily for a dinner that's taking forever, then finally eating it and not liking it...well, that just sucks. Thanks for the honest review! I won't try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, maybe if you pre-soaked the lentils? I know Lindsay had a problem with another lentil dish where they ended up too mushy. Haha, I always get antsy when I see other people already eating too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I LOVE this recipe! Ours turned out much darker in color. I wonder if it has anything to do with what kind of tamarind paste one is able to find. And our green lentils are usually done in 25 minutes for this recipe, although I've noticed that cooking times for lentil recipes everywhere are not reliable for me -- I often have to cook mine for much longer or shorter time than indicated.

    ReplyDelete