Monday, March 14, 2011

Appetite for Reduction: Sundried Tomato Walnut Dressing

Maybe it's the warmer weather or maybe it's the amazingly delicious Caesar Salad with Eggplant Bacon, but something started my salad craving. I've been eating simple salads of spinach, romaine, and baby lettuces topped with some nuts and Appetite for Reduction dressing every day.

Tonight I decided to give the Caesar Chavez dressing a break. I've made it every week for about a month now. Instead I made the Sundried Tomato Walnut Dressing.
This dressing is made by processing sundried tomatoes, walnuts, fennel seeds, shallots, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and marjoram. I substituted the water it called for with the tomato soaking liquid (why waste it?). I didn't measure out my tomatoes; I just used what I had left. I think I used more than the 1/4 cup called for because it's so thick it doesn't really pour.

Still: This dressing is perfect! The mix of flavors is just right--very sundried-tomato-y, with just enough tang from the vinegar and mustard. I had it tonight on a big salad with some chickpeas and walnuts. Great!

I'll make it again using the right amount of tomatoes so it has the right consistency, but I might also make it this same, thick way again to serve on toasted baguettes with cashew cheese (or even just as a bread dipping sauce).

No comments:

Post a Comment