Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week 2: Project Food Budget

Week 2 of The Reluctant Vegetarian's Project Food Budget

Goal: $100
Actual: $90.72 (but doesn't include about $10 of ingredients I still need)

In addition to staples and a ton of fruit and veggies for snacks and breakfast, the budget went to:
I saved money this week by making my own vegetable stock, whole-wheat bread, and pita bread! I'd never made pita bread before and was excited to find they're simple to make and taste 1000% better than store-bought pita.

Thoughts:
  • I noticed that most of the other bloggers' budgets are for their entire family. Mine is just for me. While my omnivore husband does try my dishes and usually eats them as sides, he buys his own food, so what he spends isn't included in my budget.
  • Fruit and veggies to eat as snacks take up so much of my budget. Some days, I eat up to 10 pieces of fruit. I go through an entire carton of blueberries and cherry tomatoes nearly every day. Healthy, but costly.
  • Most of us have a similar challenge: buying things outside of our lists because we think we might need them. I was very conscious of this while shopping this week. Still, I found myself buying at least two things for recipes I think I'm going to make soon. Sticking to a list is hard.
  • When my fruit bowl was nearly bare, I couldn't wait to go to Trader Joe's and instead went to Giant Eagle to stock up. I think this is why I spent more this week!
  • I need to go to Soergel's market in Wexford for produce. I heard it's cheaper than GE.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the other participating folks did this week:

2 comments:

  1. there is supposed to be a great fruit/veggie stand in the strip. i have only heard rumors about it though! want to scope it out with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! The one stand sells near-rotten fruit/produce for very cheap, but I've been able to find non-rotten things there. I'd also like to check out the produce prices at Penn Mac. And is there produce in the new public market?

    ReplyDelete