Saturday, January 22, 2011

Veganomicon Review: Chickpea Cutlets

WOW. This may be my favorite Veganomicon recipe so far. I planned to make the Red Wine Roux to go with them but ran out of time. After I pan-fried them, I ate one plain, and it was awesome just like that. I couldn't stop myself from reaching for a plain one for breakfast the next morning too.
The next day for lunch I had one on a homemade pita, topped with greens and Veganomicon's Mediterranean Olive Oil and Lemon Juice Dressing. Really delicious.
These are so simple and quick to make (about a half-hour) and packed with protein (15.25 grams per cutlet). And taste amazing. I'm planning on making another batch this weekend with the Red Wine Roux and baked french fries.

I'm posting the recipe because the authors posted it on their blog, so I'm not spilling any secrets.

Chickpea Cutlets
Makes 4 Cutlets

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth or 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 garlic cloves (pressed or grated)
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (smoked paprika)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
  • olive oil, for pan frying
Instructions
  1. Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed.
  3. Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.*
  4. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4x6 inches.
  5. Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.
*You can also bake them. Preheat oven to 375 and lightly oil a baking sheet. Brush both sides of each patty with olive oil, place on baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes. Flip patties and bake another 8-10 minutes till firm and golden brown.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I've made something like this before! Your's look great. I need to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these the other day; my biggest issue was the directions- when it says to add the remaining ingredients I went in the order listed and it has you add the wet ingredients before all of the dry; I found that this made it harder to mix everything together and I ended up needing to add a few more tablespoons of water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention it, I do think I had to add more broth! I'm making it again this week so I'll look at the recipe more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we make these all the time and they're probably our fave from the whole book too! awesome!

    ReplyDelete