The next day for lunch I had one on a homemade pita, topped with greens and Veganomicon's Mediterranean Olive Oil and Lemon Juice Dressing. Really delicious.
These are so simple and quick to make (about a half-hour) and packed with protein (15.25 grams per cutlet). And taste amazing. I'm planning on making another batch this weekend with the Red Wine Roux and baked french fries.
I'm posting the recipe because the authors posted it on their blog, so I'm not spilling any secrets.
Makes 4 Cutlets
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed or grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (smoked paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- olive oil, for pan frying
- Mash the chickpeas and oil together until no whole chickpeas remain.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead for 3 minutes until strings of gluten have formed.
- Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.*
- Divide dough into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece and stretch to roughly 4x6 inches.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to to the pan. Place cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. They are ready when lightly brown and firm to the touch.