Sunday, January 30, 2011

Veganomicon Review: Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce

The star of this dish was the roasted chile sauce. Roasted and chopped chiles are added to onions softened in oil with canned tomatoes and spices then processed in a blender. The sauce was so good I couldn't stop eating it with tortilla chips. When making it, though, I missed the tip, buried in the instructions, about how to roast peppers and ended up taking my whole chiles out of the oven mid-way through cooking and trying to slice and seed them when they were very hot.
The filling started with chopped kale wilted in grapeseed oil with garlic. I added diced, boiled potatoes, pepitas, lemon juice (I was out of lime juice), veggie broth, and salt then mashed most of the potatoes with a wooden spoon.

It was good but not great. I thought the filling was too salty (maybe because of my juice substitution?) and didn't complement the taste of the enchilada sauce. I couldn't taste the pepitas at all, which is a shame because they were expensive. I'd definitely make the sauce again--it was pretty quick and easy and could be used as a dip--but not sure I'd make this dish again.Oh, and it's nearly impossible to get good pictures of enchiladas!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! And yes it is hard to get good enchilada photos. Sloppy, but delicious.

    I hope you'll come by and share one of your meals at one of my blog party link-ups soon. I have two this week. Today's Sunday Brunch shares breakfast, brunch and lunch recipes HERE.

    For Vegan/Meatless Mondays we'll be sharing Meatless Mains. You can see more information about that party, HERE.

    Hope to see you there soon!

    Kristi @
    Veggie Converter

    ReplyDelete