Note that you'll likely have filling left over. It's good scrambled up with some tofu.
Cajun Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 24 stuffed mushrooms
- 1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) button mushrooms, about 24 large mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1cup(s) onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 - 2 slice(s) whole-wheat bread, processed into bread crumbs (I used 1)
- 1- 2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning (I used 2)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Remove mushroom stems from caps and finely chop stems; reserve caps and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sauté mushroom stems, onion, garlic, and spinach until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in remaining ingredients until well-combined.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with 2 tablespoons of filling mixture. Place mushrooms, stuffed sides up, on jellyroll pan. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes; serve warm.
- Note: The mushrooms can be stuffed in advance, covered, refrigerated and then baked later in the day to save on last-minute preparation time.