Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Veganomicon Review: Curried Tofu

Marinating tofu and then baking or grilling it is hardly a new idea, but I was curious to try Veganomicon's version of it using a curry marinade. The recipe called for marinating tofu for a half-hour. I let it marinate for 24 hours.I baked it for about 45 minutes.Veganomicon suggested eating it on a sandwich with curried mayo (adding curry powder to vegan mayo). Unfortunately, they didn't include a recipe for vegan mayo, and I realized too late that The Happy Herbivore, which I've had for weeks and have been dying to try out, did. I made the mayo from the Food Matters Cook Book:

Curried Tofu Mayo (adapted from the Food Matters Cook Book)
Makes about 1 cup

Ingredients
  • 6 ounces soft silken tofu (about 3/4 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (I squeezed a half a lemon)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar (recipe calls for honey or sugar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
Instructions
Blend until smooth!

I didn't have high hopes for this. I was surprised that it tasted pretty good and very close to mayo.I put the tofu and mayo on Poppy Seed-Cornmeal Roti for a sandwich. The mayo ended up looking like a melting mummy.The result? Eh. The tofu had the very faintest taste of curry. If I'd followed the recipe and marinated it for only 30 minutes, it would probably have tasted like nothing. But the texture was pretty good. Overall, the sandwich was ho-hum.

Tonight I cobbled together dinner from the leftover marinade, baked tofu, and some mustard greens. I wilted the greens in the marinade, added the tofu, and ate it with the Poppy Seed-Cornmeal Roti that seems to last forever. Not bad. Can't say I'll be rushing to make it again, but not awful.

1 comment:

  1. The Italian Marinated tofu received a similar response; there just wasn't enough flavor. Sorry to hear that recipe didn't work out great

    ReplyDelete