Sunday, January 23, 2011

Before & After: Veganism & My Weight Loss

As I mentioned in my first post, I decided to eat vegan because I didn't want to support industries that treat animals so horrifically inhumanely. At that time, I was also trying to lose weight. I'd lost 40 pounds on WeightWatchers 10 years prior but gained 30 pounds back. I joined WeightWatchers again last year and was on it for two months before I went vegan.

I can't say that going vegan was the only reason I lost more than 30 pounds and five pants sizes. I was also following WeightWatchers and an extremely intensive exercise program combining high-intensity cardio and a lot of strength training. But I know that eating vegan taught me how to eat healthy, nutritious food that was also delicious so that I never felt deprived. This way of eating helped me lose weight and gain strength and energy.

These pictures were taken exactly one year apart. I've maintained my weight loss since September but know it will be hard work to continue to maintain my weight and fitness level. But by eating vegan, I know I can do it.

Taken January 22, 2010
Taken January 22, 2011
Lost 33 pounds & 5 pants sizes

8 comments:

  1. Wow girl! You look amazing! Congrats on the weight loss and eating/living in a humane fashion. No doubt you will sustain your current weight with vegan eating. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you! You look incredible (though, I must say, I think you looked terrific in your "before" picture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I am new to vegan/vegetarian lifestyle and your blog is very helpful and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. damn girl. you look amazing. and, honestly, you were pretty gorgeous before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice comments. I debated this post because I don't like posting pictures of myself but ultimately decided it was important to note how vegan eating can contribute to healthy weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jennifer. You look awesome! It's so nice to work with you. I lost the recipe you gave me for the greens with hickory smoke. I can't find your phone number so I may have to just wing it. I want to get on the good foot and lose more weight too. You look great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you drink any coffee? if so what creamer do you use? also, do you eat any meat substitutions such as quorn?

    ReplyDelete