Monday, May 30, 2011

Grilled Portobellos and Potatoes

Grilling season is finally here! Warm weather was slow to come to Pittsburgh, but it's finally here to stay. My husband and I grill out most summer days. It's quick, easy, tastes great, and we can each grill different things, which is perfect for an omnivore-vegan couple like us.

This weekend I tried the Grilled Portobellos recipe from Appetite for Reduction. I had them both as a burger on a bun and sliced up in a salad with miso-tahini dressing. Both were delicious. I've been also grilling my standard potato-onion-garlic medley, which is always perfect. Recipes follow.

Also, now that summer is nearly here, I'll be much more busy, so I'm putting my blog on summer hours and expect to post only once or twice a week. On nice days, I can't bear to be on a computer when I could be outside playing :-)

Grilled Portobellos

4 portobello caps, stems removed by twisting the stems

Marinade
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Place the portobellos gills up in a baking dish. Mix all the marinade ingredients together and spoon over the portobellos. Let marinate for at least half an hour, spooning the marinade back onto the mushrooms every 10 minutes or so. I grill mine so they're well done, for about 15 or 20 minutes, until they're very soft and juicy.

Miso-Tahini Dressing
This simple dressing from Veganomicon was fantastic with the sliced, grilled portobellos and salad greens. I've also had it with veggies too, like roasted cauliflower, and it's equally awesome.

To make it, mix together equal parts (depending on how much you want, for example, 1 tablespoon) of miso, tahini, and warm water. That's it!

Grilled Potato, Onion, and Garlic Packets
This is my go-to potato dish on the grill. Simple and delicious.
  • 1 yukon gold potato, cut into small dice-size pieces
  • 1 small onion, sliced into half-moons
  • as many garlic cloves as you want, cut into a few pieces or whole
Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and add the ingredients. Spray everything again with cooking spray and toss to make sure everything's coated. I sprinkle mine with a little sea salt, but you can sprinkle with just about any seasoning. These packets take about a half-hour to grill.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. I'm usually too anxious to eat to marinate anything but it's high time for a portabella burger. How would you suggest doing them in the oven?

    ReplyDelete