Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Zucchini & Chickpea Patties

I love to cook, but I'm not a natural. So whenever I throw stuff together, the results usually aren't too great. But tonight I gave it a shot. I had some zucchini I wanted to use before it went bad and had some chickpeas I slow-cooked over the weekend. So I made these Zucchini & Chickpea Patties. I definitely used too much Italian seasoning and Dijon mustard, and it was missing...something. Still, they weren't awful. In fact, when I smothered them in some vegan cheese sauce I made to go with steamed kale, they were fantastic!

Zucchini & Chickpea Patties

Makes 6 patties

  • 1 zucchini, shredded
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ cup cooked chickpeas, mashed
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • ¼ cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (thinking this should be just 1 or 2 tsp)
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning (I'll use just 1 next time)
  • 1 tbsp chickpea cooking liquid
First I mashed the chickpeas with a fork then added everything else in and combined. I formed them into patties, put them on a greased baking sheet, sprayed them with cooking spray, baked at 375 for 10 minutes, baked, sprayed again, and baked for 15 more minutes. They weren't dry, but they didn't hold together well.

Suggestions for how to make these better are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. These sound very Happy Herbivore-esque! I usually have all these ingredients around; I'll try to give them a shot soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I love chickpea patties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Herbivore would have been much better, I'm sure! I'll have to look through my HH book and see if there's a similar recipe I can use instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made something very, very similar a couple weeks ago that held together well - but drats if I can't remember the exact ratios what I put in them. I tried to re-create them a couple days ago and didn't get it quite right. But, one thing I did is use cooked brown rice instead of breadcrumbs, and I blended the whole mixture up in the food processor to a chunky consistency. That worked well to make them stick together.

    ReplyDelete