Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Two Bad Recipes (Hey, I Tried!)

Why don't I create original recipes? Because they suck! This past weekend I tried my hand at creating recipes to submit for possible publication in the new Happy Herbivore cookbook.

First was Masala Breaded Tofu with Masala Gravy (I had it with steamed kale.) Indian-spiced breaded tofu with an Indian-spiced gravy--what could go wrong with that? The recipe may have turned out...if my mouth hadn't caught on fire. The gravy was so hot I teared up. I would have tried to alter the spices but then thought, "Is breaded tofu really an original recipe?" I didn't want to chance it so didn't alter or submit. I'll include my recipe for those who love fire with their tofu or for those who want to play around with it.

Masala Breaded Tofu

2 tbsp chickpea flour
2 tbsp whole wheat white flour
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Mix the flours and spices in a shallow bowl.
  3. Cut the block in half then cut into 16 slices
  4. Cut the small side of the block into 16 thin (1/4 inch thick) slices
  5. Dredge the slices in the breading.
  6. Place the slices on the lined baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and spray the other side lightly. Bake for 10 more minutes.

Masala Gravy


1 cup vegetable broth
2-3 tbsp of leftover tofu breading (3 makes it super thick, so it's more like a sandwich spread)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry

Stir it all together and heat in a small pot, stirring constantly, until thick.

Next I tried Mushrooms Stuffed with White Bean, Sundried Tomato, and Leek Puree. Doesn't it sound good? Well, it wasn't. It sucked! I sauteed some leeks in veg broth then processed them, some fresh parsley, cannellini beans, and sundried tomatoes. I added the puree to portobello mushrooms and baked them. Now, I like all the ingredients, so how this turned out so awful, I don't know. I hate being wasteful and throwing food out, but I could not eat these. Down the garbage disposal they went...along with my dreams of having my recipes published in a cookbook. :-( Although, I did get the idea from Mark Bittman's Pureed White Beans with Fresh Herbs recipe (which I love), so I'm not sure how original this was anyway.

Well, I've learned my lesson: be good to plants and use them only in other people's recipes--not my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment