Tomato soup in winter sounds good. Spicy tomato soup sounds better. And spicy tomato soup made with pureed chickpeas? Awesome! This recipe from Vegan Yum Yum is a winner.
Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (I omitted the oil and used vegetable broth)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I used about 1.5 cups of chickpeas I cooked)
- 1 (28oz) can of diced tomatoes (or fresh plum tomatoes if in season)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 cup hot water
- black pepper to taste
1. Sautee the diced onion in a large pot until soft, about three minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes and stir another minute.
2. Add the chickpeas, mustard seeds, and turmeric, and saute until the chickpeas turn golden. Note that if using veg broth in place of oil, keep adding enough broth so things don't stick to the pan.
4. Add the nutritional yeast if using and the hot water. Either transfer the soup to a blender to puree, or use an immersion blender. This was my first chance to use the immersion blender I got for Christmas. It was exciting and messy at the same time. Bits of pureed chickpeas and tomatoes were everywhere by the time I was done.
vegan cookies. Wouldn't these jars look cute with some festive ribbon?