Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Seitan Pot Roast & Truffled Mashed Potatoes

Nothing says fall comfort food like pot roast, gravy, and mashed potatoes!

First I made the Seitan Pot Roast from The Happy Herbivore Cookbook. It called for No-Beef Broth and Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, also recipes in the cookbook. They were so quick and easy to make, I didn't mind the recipes within recipes. The seitan is quick and easy to put together, then you simmer it in the no-beef broth with veggies for an hour, then bake it for another 25 minutes until it's firm and the outside is crispy.

I topped it with No-Beef Gravy, which was also simple to make because I'd already made the No-Beef Broth.

Yum! The pot roast was meaty without being, well, meaty. It was tasty, filling, and a true comfort food with the gravy on top.

I made Truffled Mashed Potatoes, a new recipe from Vegetarian Times, as a side. Recipe below. Confession: I've never made mashed potatoes before! The version from my childhood is full of butter and sour cream. It looms so large and perfect in my memory that I've never wanted to make another version...and I haven't tried a vegan version.

The Truffled Mashed Potatoes didn't disappoint. It was definitely different, but the truffle elevated it to a level of fanciness not normally found in this gold ole' dish. It was also very quick and easy to make, which is always a plus in my book.

Truffled Mashed Potatoes from November 2011 Vegetarian Times
  • 2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
  • 2-3 Tbsp truffle oil (I used 2)
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley (I used dried)
  1. Bring potatoes, garlic, and enough water to cover all by 1 inch to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
  2. Transfer drained potatoes and garlic to a mixing bowl and mash or mix with hand mixer (what I did) with enough cooking liquid until everything is smooth and creamy. I didn't use much cooking liquid--probably 1/4 cup. 
  3. Stir in truffle oil and parsley and season with salt and pepper if desired. 

2 comments:

  1. I just got my issue of VT as well and I was intrigued by that recipe. I'll have to try it now, thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never used truffle oil for fear that it's super expensive but I bet the potatoes taste amazing.
    I've also got to dive deeper into the HH book...the pot roast looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete