Thursday, June 9, 2011

Week 22: Project Food Budget

Week 22 of Reluctant Vegetarian's Project: Food Budget

Goal: $75
Actual: $61.09 personal budget; $86 more for hosting dinner for friends

A few weeks ago Emily asked how I planned to reign in my spending after I'd been over for a few weeks. While I've learned a lot through this project (making from scratch saves money; other savings basics), this time I used a simpler strategy: I planned for only one or two meals during the week and made salads and tofu scrambles the rest of the time. I kind of feel like salads and tofu scrambles are cheating, but hey, if these quick and humble meals save money, taste good, and are good for me, why not?

This week's budget went for dishes I haven't made yet:
  • Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro Soy Sour Cream
  • Low-Fat Guacamole
  • Grilled Veggies with White Bean Aioli
The budget also went to stables like tofu, herbs, fresh fruit, maple syrup, olive oil, and chocolate chips. I also bought a basil plant ($3.99 at Trader Joe's). Growing my own herbs was one of my goals for this project. My first thyme plant didn't make it, but I had basil last year and am confident I can keep it alive and happy all summer.

What I haven't included in this week's budget is the $86 extra I spent for hosting a dinner for six. I think I'm going to keep dinners I host as separate from my own food budget. I'm curious to hear how others handle this?

------------------------------------------

P:FB The Details: http://emilylevenson.com/custom-made-blog/pfb-the-details

No comments:

Post a Comment