Homemade Clif Bars (see original recipe and variations here at the Enlightened Cooking blog)
Makes 16 bars (3 WeightWatchers pointsplus value per bar)
- 1 and 1/4 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.) (Note: I omitted this)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (pepitas are great)
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup nut butter (preferably natural, well-stirred, but creamy is fine, too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine the syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well blended (alternatively microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted). Stir in vanilla until blended.
Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (use a wooden spoon at first, then mix with your hands). Press mixture firmly into a greased 8-inch square pan using a large square of wax paper (really tamp it down). Cool in pan on a wire rack and chill at least 30 minutes to help it set. Cut into 16 bars. (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator).