I also made the best margaritas ever! I searched skinny margarita recipes online and combined what I thought were the best of each I found. They were so fresh and delicious--definitely one of the best drinks I've ever had. (See recipe below.) Of course they were great with chips, salsa, and guacamole, but I think I'm going to serve these margaritas up for my next get-together with friends, too.
We ate dinner on our patio then headed up to the roof off of our third floor, where we have a great view of Downtown Pittsburgh and the fireworks for the Pirates game. And there was a super moon, too!
Makes 1 drink
- 1 whole lime
- 1/3 orange
- 1/2 packet of Stevia, or your favorite sweetener (optional)
- 1 shot of tequila
- 1/4 cup Sprite Zero
- Squeeze the juice from 1 whole lime and 1/3 of an orange into a glass.
- Add some sweetener if you'd like. I tend to like things very sweet, but a packet of Stevia was way too much. A half packet was okay, but they were just as good without any sweetener.
- Add the tequila, ice, and stir well.
- If you want a strong drink, skip the diet Sprite. I don't like strong drinks, so I added a bit of Sprite Zero.
Guac is so simple to make, but I'd never made it before I'd bought Veganomicon. If you're looking for a good, basic recipe, this is great.
- 1 very ripe avocado (the riper and softer, the better)
- 1/2 to 1 lime
- 1 small red onion, minced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Slice the avocado in half, then again in quarters. Throw out the pit (or keep it if you're not going to eat all the guac immediately). Peel off the skin and put the quartered pieces in a bowl.
- Add the minced red onion, and squeeze the juice of a half a lime on top.
- Mash everything up with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix again.
- If you want it more lime-y, add more juice. The original recipe called for 1 lime, but I thought a half was perfect.
- To store it, put the pit in the guac and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap against the guac so no air can get through and cause the guac to go brown.