Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Smoky Split Pea Soup

This weekend I tried the Smoky Split Pea Soup from Appetite for Reduction. It was easy to make, thick, and very hearty. The flavor--made smoky by lots of smoked paprika--was good but not to die over.

I'd probably make it again. It's a good, low-fat, simple soup to have in my soup arsenal and is great for lunch in winter...but I wouldn't break it out for guests.

I like my legumes to be extremely soft and not hard at all so I cooked it for 50 minutes instead of the recommended 40 minutes. Even then, some of the split peas were a little firm, so I'd add more water and cook for at least an hour next time. I used bullion cubes to make the vegetable broth. Between that and the additional salt, this was really salty. I like that, but if you don't, use less salt or don't use bullion cubes.

Smoky Split Pea Soup
Serves 6
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 medium-sized onion, diced small
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 1/4 cups dried split peas
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste (I didn't use this)

  1. Preheat soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onions in the oil until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the garlic, pepper, and salt; saute for another minute. 
  3. Add the paprika and thyme, stirring continuously for about 15 seconds to toast the spices.
  4. Add the carrots, split peas, and broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 40-60 minutes, until split peas are soft enough for you. If necessary, thin the soup with water. Stir occasionally to prevent the soup from burning at the bottom.
  5. Add lemon juice if using. Let set for at least 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment